What is workplace giving?
MaineShare gives employees in the workplace an easy way to give a few dollars a week from their paycheck and support groups working for Maine every day.
Workplace giving is a simple process that allows employees to make tax-deductible donations to Maine organizations through payroll contributions. Workplace giving is easy and efficient and enables a workplace and its employees to work together to benefit the community.
MaineShare’s workplace giving campaigns are “donor driven” – donors may designate all or part of their contributions to specific member organizations. Staff and board make no decisions about how your money is distributed. You choose how to distribute your gift on your pledge form.
Through workplace payroll giving, donors help to fund and develop root cause solutions and provide a steady stream of funding for MaineShare member groups.
Giving a few dollars a week out of your paycheck is easy and convenient. MaineShare comes to your workplace once a year and you decide how much to give and who you want to receive your gift.
Donors can give anonymously, or choose to receive an acknowledgment from designated member groups.
Workplace giving means that employees give to charitable organizations of their choice, primarily through payroll contributions.
“MaineShare is appealing, quick and easy- giving employees choices that cover a broad spectrum of statewide issues.”
-Ann Michaud, Campaign Coordinator for Bowdoin College, one of 150 workplaces where MaineShare is offered.
Why donate via payroll contribution?
- Effectiveness: Donations through workplace giving enables MaineShare’s member groups to spend less time fundraising and more time working to prevent and solve Maine’s pressing problems.
- Efficiency: Raising funds through payroll deductions in workplace giving campaigns is many times less expensive than direct mail (the most common way that non-profit organizations gain new supporters). With lower fundraising costs, more money can go directly to programs and services.
- Convenience: Once a year donors decide which issues are most important to them. They choose an organization(s) to support and the donation comes directly from their paycheck.
- Consistency: Funds raised through payroll deduction help our groups plan for the future. After workplaces have concluded their giving campaigns, they send MaineShare the results. MaineShare then reports to its members the amount of the donations they will receive, allowing them to budget with confidence.
- Accountability: MaineShare member groups are carefully screened each year and are held to strict accountability standards. This gives our donors peace of mind, knowing their money is being well managed.